Sunday, September 19, 2010

Bye-Bye Binkie


Brady’s beloved binkies were no where to be found last Saturday evening. I really did look under his crib where they frequently fall, but didn’t see any. Now, we only have three and typically there are two that live in his room and the third is usually MIA (usually in Shaun’s diaper bag). Anyways, the binkies have been a naptime and bedtime necessity here at the house, but not needed to take naps at Aunt Mandy’s or to fall asleep in the car.

Hmmmm…how much of a necessity were they really? I was about to find out! As soon as stories were over, Brady started asking for his “binkie-binkie”. He also gestured with his hands like he was saying “Where is it?” He saw me looking and I told him I would have to keep looking while he was going to bed. This is where I thought he might fall apart and cry either until I found one or until he fell asleep. NOPE- not even a tear or slight whine! I did really keep looking, but not that hard. Every time I went to check on him, he would ask for the “binkie-binkie” and I told him I was still looking. Soon, he fell asleep! Yea!

The next day Shaun looked under his crib and found both binkies and I quickly swept them away out of site! Although it was unintentional that he didn’t have the binkie the night before it was now going to be intentional! Unfortunately, Brady was coming down with a cold. Part of me thought “even a better reason to get rid of the binkie, he can barley breathe out of his nose” but the other part of me thought “he already doesn’t feel well, taking this away from him now is just mean!” Well, Sunday night he went to bed without his binkie, but woke up in the middle of the night miserable. I gave in and gave him back the binkie. I thought for sure I ruined it all. Not so! He hasn’t had it since! He asked for it a couple times the following nights, we told him they were all gone and that was that! He is now a binkie free sleeper – all the time!

*Please excuse any punctuation errors, quotes are not my strength!

No comments:

Post a Comment