Saturday, June 23, 2012

My Garden

I have had a plan for a garden for at least a year.

We had these areas of rock (and grass and weeds) in two corners of our yard. The areas were complete with two bushes that constantly needed trimming. The areas looked really nice- as long as I kept on top of the weeds, the grass that didn't belong there and the trimming. Shady frequently used the bushes as refuge from Pedro while playing chase. He didn't dare venture behind the bushes- wussy!

So a long time ago- over a year- we pulled out the bushes. Not for the intention for a garden, but to get rid of the bushes, and eventually the rocks.

I decided that one of the corners was going to be my garden. We started in April. Shaun began digging out the rocks. Brady helped. Later, I dug out some more. I started a garden on the patio and anticipated a quick transplantation to my new garden. With great help from my dad, we created a garden boarder. I added mulch and soil and mixed it with the current dirt.

The next day my house floor was COVERED in mud! The walls and baseboards were victim too. Thankfully the bedroom doors had been closed! Although I knew I couldn't plant anything thing without a fence in fear that Shady would dig them up- I didn't really think about what would happen without plants.

Again, with Dad's help, we created a "Shady proof fence".

I finally transplanted in May. I only put in one of the pepper plants and one of the tomato plants...just in case the plants were unhappy in their new home.

Since I transplanted, I've planted a few more things. I can't claim to be a great gardener or even to know what I'm doing, but so far, I do have tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, sunflowers, watermelon and pumpkins growing in the garden!






After I tipped the wheelbarrow Brady offered help with his dump truck!







No comments:

Post a Comment